Friday, February 14, 2014

Gamified Update

We have done the gamified class for 3 weeks now, (I know it is the same posting date as the intro blog, but I was a little behind and am now catching up) and the students seem to be doing pretty well picking assignments to do and sticking with them. I may need to increase to point value of the quests as I thought that students would be collecting more points than they have. Accordingly so, a number of students are failing on the progress report, but that will change as I look to make adjustments to the values.

One cause of this point deficiency is that I will give my students a great task yet not realize just how difficult the task is to tackle. They are about 90% on task, but my assessment of how difficult a task is was incredibly off. To adjust for this, I have posted a number of quick and easy quests that students should take and quickly raise their grade.

A positive note has been the quest, "Hijack the Lesson." I teach a new concept on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and students are provided my schedule of concepts to lecture about on the website. At any time, a student could say they want to teach the lesson, and hijack it from me. I will give that student a 5 min crash course on the topic and then let him research the concept and develop a lesson. Sometimes they make a powerpoint, sometimes they make code for others to look at, and sometimes they just come to the board and start talking. We have 50 min periods, so I tell them that I will give them 100 pts minus 2 pts for each minute I have to explain after the fact.

After 3 tries, we finally had a student make it through the whole lesson. The first couple of times, students would start and after a couple of minutes would get nervous and give up. As the students develop a culture of trying to teach and patience, they are starting to take more risks and learn concepts on their own. I have also attached a class wide achievement called "Better than Barrett" hopefully to provide incentive for students to keep trying to "hijack" the lesson.

Well, that's all for today. More updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment